Shannon Murray CYC Photo Contest
Many Charlottetown Yacht Club members are avid photographers. For decades, they have captured photos of life in and around the Club, our harbour and nearby Northumberland Strait. It is time for the world to see the best of that work. So, each year we will run a contest open to Club members.
There are six categories:
There are six categories:
- On the Water, Sail
- On the Water, Power
- On the Water, Racing
- On the Seashore
- In the Marina
- Social Life at CYC
- Photos are to show scenes in or around the Charlottetown Yacht Club or nearby PEI seawaters.
- Any Charlottetown Yacht Club member can submit one photograph to one or more of the six categories using the form below. The photographer must be a CYC member to enter and the image must be owned and submitted by the photographer.
- Submissions will be taken until July 31, 2020.
- A jury will select up to eight photographs for adjudication in each category.
- The selected photos will be posted on our website. The public will be asked to vote on their favourite image in each category until August 31, 2020.
- A jury will then select the winner and runner-up images for each category, based on the voting and other criteria. Winners will be announced by the end of September. The other images will be taken down and the winner and runner-up images in each category will remain on the website until the following year. The winner and runner-up images will also be printed and posted on a wall inside the Club building until the following year.
- Jury members can submit photos but will not be allowed to adjudicate categories to which they submitted images.
- All decisions are final. CYC reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is deemed inappropriate or does not conform to the contest rules.
- Contestants will retain copyright of their photos, but agree to donate the images to CYC to post them on the CYC website for the duration of the competition. Winners and runner-ups agree to let CYC hang a printed image of their photo on the wall inside the clubhouse until the following year. There are no prizes or remuneration. Photographers will be given credit when their image is used.
Shannon Murray had a lifelong dedication to painting and photographing Island life. He loved the water, spending many summers sailing with friends at the Yacht Club where he was an enthusiastic and well-liked member. He even ice-sailed with CYC members in the winter. Shannon shared a great many of his sailing photographs on CYC’s Facebook group and website.
Shannon passed away in 2020 as we were planning the photo contest. So it only seems right that we dedicate the contest to him.